Each year, thousands of unsuspecting Americans fall at home, leaving many of them seriously injured or disabled. In 2010, more than 12,800 people over age 65 died and 1.6 million were treated in emergency departments because of falls.
Falls can occur unexpectedly, even to the most sure-footed person. Most falls take place at home, making proactive fall prevention around the house so important. Here are some safety tips to help prevent slips, trips, and falls:
Easy Comforts fall prevention and home safety tips
- Reduce your risk of trips and slips by keeping your feet firmly in touch with the ground.
- Use products that hold rugs in place and add traction to slippery surfaces.
- Never walk around the house barefoot or in socks/slippers with smooth bottoms.
- Ensure uniform lighting in rooms by adding lights to dark areas.
- Use motion-sensing lights so you can see where you're walking.
- Place lighting close to the bed, where it’s easy to reach.
- Preventative measures, such as handles and mats, lessen the chance of being caught off guard.
- Keep items used frequently on lower shelves (about shoulder level).
- Use a stool with a bar attached for additional stability when reaching items on high shelves.
- Place non-slip mats or strips on the floor of the tub or shower.
- Add bars inside and outside your bathing area and next to the toilet.
Health tips for preventing falls
- Exercise regularly. Focus on increasing leg strength and improving balance.
- Identify your medications that may cause side effects such as dizziness or drowsiness.
- Keep an eye on your vision health and visit an eye doctor at least once a year.
In addition to fall prevention at home, being aware of weather and terrain conditions when you venture outdoors is also important. Easy Comforts offers easy-to-handle products that can reduce hazards and aid in personal stability while away from home.